Congratulations on your new tattoo!
Follow these simple suggestions and your healing should go smoothly.
**Always follow your tattoo artist’s instructions for aftercare. These are general procedures that we have all agreed upon**
Remember that it’s now 100% up to you to take care of this tattoo during your critical healing period.
ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS PRIOR TO AND AFTER HANDLING YOUR TATTOO (removing SecondSkin/gauze bandage, washing, moisturizing)
If you received SecondSkin/Saniderm:
• Do not leave the SecondSkin/Saniderm on for more than 72 hours
• Although it is waterproof, try to keep it as dry as possible while showering for longer wear
• IF ANY BLOOD/PLASMA LEAKS OUT, OR IF THE TATTOO BECOMES UNCOVERED, REMOVE IT AND MOVE TO POST SECONDSKIN/BANDAGE REMOVAL AFTERCARE
• Once you are ready to remove it, DO let the water in the shower/steam help loosen it. Gently peel up a corner, and stretch it away from your skin slowly. Do NOT rip it off like a bandage. Continue to post bandage aftercare
If you received a gauze covering:
• Do not leave bandage on for more than 3 hours
• Once you are ready to remove it, carefully remove the bandage and discard it. Continue to post bandage aftercare
POST SECONDSKIN/BANDAGE AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS:
Keep following this routine until your tattoo is fully healed.
No sun screen on healing tattoos. If you are in the sun for a prolonged amount of time, cover the tattoo with loose clothing. Please use it after it has healed to help your tattoo’s longevity.
No submerging your tattoo in water (oceans, lakes, rivers, baths, etc) while it is healing.
1- Mild Soap (fragrance free, pump soap. Bar soap harbors bacteria. If you must use bar soap, lather it first in your hands. Never apply a bar directly to the tattoo) & water
2- Wet the tattoo gently, letting water fall from the areas around the tattoo onto it
3- Lather soap in your hands, and use an open palm and small circles to gently wash your tattoo
4- If you are washing your tattoo in the shower, wash it last in case any other products came in contact with it. Always try to keep your tattoo as dry as possible in the shower to avoid over moisturizing
•The first time you wash your tattoo, make sure to get any build up off of it
5- Rinse your tattoo gently, letting water fall from the areas around the tattoo onto it
6- PAT (don’t rub) your tattoo dry with a paper towel or clean towel
7- Let your tattoo air dry for 10-15 minutes
8- Apply a small amount of Bright or a fragrance free lotion. Less is more
The Initial Do’s and Don’ts
•DON’T scratch or pick at your tattoo. If it gets itchy, slap it lightly. Scabs/flakes will fall off naturally, typically during washing. DON’T force them off
•DON’T use too much lotion. Too dry is better than too moist. Too much lotion can cause scabs to fall off prematurely, and take ink with them
•DON’T apply sunscreen to a healing tattoo. It contains harsh chemicals that are not advised for healing tattoos
•DON’T discard your SecondSkin/bandage where a pet or child can reach it
•DO wash your tattoo once a day
•WHEN IN DOUBT, WASH IT OUT. Try to avoid washing your tattoo more than twice a day, but if you think it may have gotten dirty, wash it
•DO wash your tattoo after sweating profusely
•DO wear loose clothing over your tattoo. Cotton/breathable fabrics are best. Avoid straps/constricting clothing directly on your tattoo
•DO protect your tattoo with sunscreen once it is fully healed
•DO CONTACT YOUR ARTIST OR THE STUDIO IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS!
1. Wash once in the morning
2. Moisturize once in the morning, once at night
3. Keep it clean
4. No picking/scratching
5. Your tattoo is healed when there are no more scabs/flakes/open areas